1984 mercury 90hp tower of power 6cyc leaking fuel while sitting

chadweiser

Cadet
Since i first got this boat about 5 years ago. If i let it sit longer then a week to two weeks it is hell to crank. Once running it will fire right up if i crank it every 3 days or so. After sitting there will be a trail of oil going down the side of the engine all the way to the foot. it is from gas leaking after sitting. I changed the fuel lines and fuel pump. I cant see where the gas coming from. The engine is starving for gas after sitting because if i spray 2 stroke in the carbs it will fire up and run until it burns that gas.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i believe it is just excess oil and gas from the carbs. you might want to have someone look at your floats and hoses to address the starting issues.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is the enricher system working ??---Are you pushing the key in while cranking it over to start it cold ??----There may be an oil recirculating line from bottom of engine to the top, that could be the scource of oil leakage.

Last edited:

chadweiser

Cadet
I push the key in and here a click at the engine and hold it in for 8-10 sec then crank while holding it. the engine might be a 83 not sure it has gold strip.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Post the serial number and we can tell you what you have for a choke or enrichener.

Are you pumping the bulb until it's firm and using the warm up lever? And do you park the boat with the motor tilted up?

chadweiser

Cadet
a124493,

It has been a few days like two since i started it. I pumped the ball tight, put it on fast idle, pushed in the choke for about 10 secs and cranked while holding in the choke it started right up and ran great.

but if it sits for over week it will just fire then die right away. You have to do that 2 or 3 times and it will finally run on its own.

if I let it sit any longer then 2 1/2-3 weeks. the engine will just turn over and will take about 15mins or longer to start to fire. most of the time after it has sat that long i just spray mixed gas in the carbs. It takes a few times of doing this before it will run by its self.

i took the cowl off before starting today and the black lever that connects each carb is really wet. I was going to get a pic but camera died.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No need to push the key in for 8 / 10 seconds without cranking it over.----------Push key in and crank is the way to start it.-------Push key in after it starts as needed till it warms a bit.