03 9.9 kicker

tlh 178

Petty Officer 3rd Class
would like to replace my timing belt. but don't want to spend 180.00 on a merc flywheel puller! any ideas on getting it off safely?

alldodge

Staff member
Unable to say for sure but many use a harmonic balancer puller to remove on other types of outboards. Some use in conjunction with some heat and smacking puller bolt with a hammer. Hope a more experience person comes along to assist

gm280

Supreme Mariner
tlh 178, I am not familiar with your engine and therefore hesitant to make any suggestions. Seems every time I tell someone how to remove something on an engine I have no knowledge of, it is wrong. So I too will let someone else explain how to remove it. If you could specify the serial number or model number it would help. JMHO!

tlh 178

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OG 590000 9.9 bigfoot . flywheel puller # 91-83164M is the puller! hard to spend 180.00 to replace a 15.00 belt!

alldodge

Staff member
It's similar to a harmonic puller, just smaller. Don't know how handy you are, but I would make one. Find a grade 8 fine thread bolt and nut. Get a piece of 1/4 inch steel and drill a hole in the center for the bolt, and three smaller ones for the bolts which screw into the flywheel. If you have a welder, weld the nut to the plate steel, or just hold with a wrench. Pick up three grade 8 bolts for the flywheel and in short make your own puller.

Another option is to ask how much the local dealer would charge to pull it for you

41vYPfAoMmL.jpg

Last edited:

tlh 178

Petty Officer 3rd Class
thanks for the reply's guys. how does something so simple cost that much money. i have a flat puller that i'll modify and make it work. thanks for the idea alldodge!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
tlh 178, I am with you. I most certainty would make something in my shop to remove that flywheel before buying one at such a price. That is the ingenuity of iboaters in my option. :thumb: