Are all fuel lines the same?

Buster_boy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have this pontoon that came with a 40 horse Johnson. I will be adding Merc 9.9 to be used on restricted waters. Will the existing fuel line work on both motors or do I need one for each motor? Are the connectors brand specific?

jbcurt00

Staff member
1 is Johnson

1 is Mercury

The same fuel hose fitting wont fit both

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You can add a selector valve with one feed from the fuel tank and a hose with the correct fuel connector to each motor. Or make up 2 hoses with the same tank connector and a Merc connector on one hose and a Johnson connector on the other.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You can also switch the connector at the motor, or make a short adaptor.

Buster_boy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK so Johnson does not match to Merc. Got it. Are the tank connectors the same?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
OK so Johnson does not match to Merc. Got it. Are the tank connectors the same?

NO, the tank is usually matched to the motor (same type of connector). however on aftermarket tanks, the connector is usually threaded into a 1/4" NPT port.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like you need to make up a little adapter to install when using one or the other engines. Not hard to do and then you can stay with one setup for the engine you use the most from the tank to that engine, and then add the adapter when switching to the other engine. Not a hard things to do. JMHO!

Buster_boy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a pontoon so it's an aftermarket, portable tank. I think it's a Moeller brand, but it's packed away on the boat for the winter so I can't be sure at the moment. I think I'll build "Y" type hose - one off the tank and split to two engines after the primer bulb.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You need a primer bulb in each line between the Y and the motor, otherwise it won't work. Typically you use a fuel filter to do the split, one line in, two out.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
my 1996, 9.9 has a Johnson style connector on it, some one may of changed it in the past though. But it looks factory.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
my 1996, 9.9 has a Johnson style connector on it, some one may of changed it in the past though. But it looks factory.

It may look a little like the OMC (johnrude) connector, but they are completely incompatible.

Chris......