Mercury engine conversion question

Streffpilot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, i am considering using my Mercury TOP for a off road vehicle......Obviously I need a cooling system, but what about oiling. The engine would be horizontal while running vs verticle. Would this cause any possible internal damage due to lubrication issues??

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It's a 2 stroke, so you can run it any way you want, even upside down. You just have to orient the carbs right side up.

Cooling and exhaust will be your biggest issues and finding the right transmission, probably from a bike with a separate crankcase and transmission - Harley, Norton or pre-unit Triumph/BSA..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
liquid cooled 2-cycle rotax motors from snowmobiles make a better off-road motors than converting an outboard powerhead, half are even glycol cooled, and all have a variable pitch clutch and jack-shaft and usable exhaust. Even a jet-ski motor would be a better choice.

It can be done, however it does take more fabrication/modification to start with an outboard powerhead.

I have built 3 off-road go-carts from snowmobile motors so far.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ob motors tend to be pretty pricey to use for something like this. Oiling would be premix, carbs would have to be reoriented to be right side up which may be difficult if your merc is like mine where the carbs are linked to the timing lever.