1965 Merc110 9.8hp recoil starter

beau_cephus

Cadet
Does anyone have any info on how to replace the recoil starter spring on a '65 merc110? I need to disassemble the starter and cannot find anything regarding how to do it.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
On my 59 model there is a disc in the center of the hood that needs to be removed. Under there is the bolt for the recoil once you release the lock washer spin the nut off and it should drop out of the hood. Look for something similar without the serial# can't be more specific.

Last edited:

beau_cephus

Cadet
On my 59 model there is a disc in the center of the hood that needs to be removed. Under there is the bolt for the recoil once you release the lock washer spin the nut off and it should drop out of the hood. Look for something similar without the serial# can't be more specific.

Looking at the top cowl assembly BOM, I think this is how Ill have to do it. Looks like Ill have to remove the chrome on top to access the nut. Thanks for the reply.

beau_cephus

Cadet
Looking at the top cowl assembly BOM, I think this is how Ill have to do it. Looks like Ill have to remove the chrome on top to access the nut. Thanks for the reply.

I'm finally getting around to repairing my recoil starter. Having issues removing the sheave shaft nut. Does any one have any pointers? When I turn it, it does not loosen, it only rotates.
cowl.png

merc850

Commander
Isn't there a slot in the sheave shaft to put a screwdriver into? And the nut is left-hand thread I believe.

beau_cephus

Cadet
Isn't there a slot in the sheave shaft to put a screwdriver into? And the nut is left-hand thread I believe.
yes there is slot for screw driver. Ill have to get a special open end wrench to get access with a screw driver. I've been trying with a 3/4" socket.

beau_cephus

Cadet
Turns out the either the nut or the shaft is stripped. Any pointers on how to get the stripped nut off the shaft? I may try drilling the shaft and buying a new one.