Uprate 4hp mercury 2 stroke?

marcusmarcus

Recruit
Hi
Is it possible to uprate a 4hp 2 stroke mercury engine to 5hp and if so what does the conversion consist of?
thanks as always

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Since the bore of the block is the same I wouldn't expect to see any worthy changes in performance, even if it was possible. What exactly are you trying to do? Are you having a hard time staying on plane with the 4 hp?

marcusmarcus

Recruit
Hi Sutor thanks for comments. I am looking to get a back up engine not more than about 20kg and the 5hp 2 stroke mercury looks ideal but these are hard to source now (in the UK) so I was hoping that a 4hp I have seen advertised could be converted to 5hp but from what I have heard there may be carb and reed valve differences that would rule that out. I am surprised you have negative views about uprating engines as I have uprated a 25hp Tohatsu to 30 (just a restrictor plate out and a timing tweak) and a 9.9 Yamaha which was just a bigger carb jet. Both engines had noticeably more power afterwards and evidenced from the revs available.. Also car engines now often have a basic engine and different engine management setting to cover a huge range of hp choices. I will just have to keep looking but any views about uprating yamaha, mariner or Tohatsu engines from 4 to 5hp are also welcomed.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Well, with some engines it is very possible to do some minor upgrades, but if you do not have the engine yet I would just find what you are looking for off the bat. I have had a Johnson 9.9 and all it needed to become a 15hp was a carb swap, and it had quite a bit more power. But, what it really did was shift the power curve from lower end to upper end. Didn't really seem to have much more lower end torque, just more top end. Planing speed was about the same. That's the funny thing about getting more horse power from the same displacement block. You will notice more upper end speed than planing torque.

Give us a serial number of the particular motor so we can see what the upgrade entails.

What size boat are you getting a backup engine for? I had a 1970 4hp johnson for a backup on my 16' aluminum boat with 65hp mercury. It would have gotten me home on a windy day at the lake, but if I were stuck downriver Id have been lucky to make it back up river with that tiny engine. Now, when I put my 9.9 on the same boat, it actually PLANED IT OUT!!!! I could do 8-9MPH with that little engine fully planed. Blew my mind!! I will try and post the videos for you to see what I mean.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Last edited: