What's This Bracket? Newbie Question

Buster_boy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Mercury 9.9 Bigfoot. Pretty standard but what is this bent aluminum bracket behind the nut on the Starboard side of the tube where the controls route through? It's aluminum, is bent, has a hole in it. I'm sorry I can't attach a photo. Apparently my phone and tablet take way better pics than this forum will allow. I can email one if you like.

I'm using this motor as a kicker on my pontoon. I built a mount for the motor but this bracket is sorta in the way. I didn't notice it until I slipped the bracket on to drill the holes. It's keeps the motor from resting squarely on the mount leaving about a 3/8 gap. I could shim it but I'd prefer not to.

I'm only using the throttle/choke/electrical from my controls. Steering will be by Panther connector from the main motor. If I don't need that bracket I'd like to remove it.

Let me know. Thanks
Jim

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Without seeing any pictures, it is hard to say. It could be a plate to allow you to secure the engine to the hull with a cable or chain and lock through that hole. Or it could be the lock for tilting the engine up and locking there. I attached a break down of a Mercury 9.9, (not sure of year) . Untitled.png

Is it part number 11? If so that is a plate to secure the engine to the hull. JMHO!

Buster_boy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's it #11. Thanks gm280.

GA_boater - I just uploaded them. Didn't really pay much attention. When I try it now I get error message Your file of xyz bytes is larger than the 400000 allowed.

Last edited:

Buster_boy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What I don't understand is the pics in my album were taken with the same camera/phone as the pics Iboats says are too big. It says they need to be 600x600. My camera doesn't go that small so what do they expect I do?

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Buster_Boy, if part number 11 is what you were referring to, it is called a safety clip by the manufacturer. Some folks run a cable through that opening and attach it to the boat hull so the engine doesn't get lost if it were to get loose. Others lock it on the boat using that clip attachment. If you don't want it there, you can remove it.

Secondly, if your camera doesn't take less resolution pictures, you can use a program like mspaint to resize them to post. I actually set my camera to a lower resolution setting and since then I have no problems posting pictures. So use something to resize them or use some other lower pixel camera. JMHO!

fhhuber

Lieutenant
On the secondary picture size issue:

Load the picture to a hosting service such as imgur.com then link it.

Or in Paint (or your favorite photo editor), open the picture, select all, shrink/grow and reduce 50%. Check size. If still too large reduce again. Save as a new file, so the original resolution is maintained. Upload the reduced size.

Or the fun one is... do both and make clicking the reduced size open the hosted full resolution image. :)

Buster_boy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Here we go!!! I guess it just depends on which folder it's in on my tablet. I pulled it from the 'Images' folder instead of the 'Download' folder and it worked. Whatever!!! Lol

Attachments

• photo237452.jpg
    photo237452.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 0

Buster_boy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

You can see in the first two pics how that bracket hits my mount. This prevented it from sitting flush in the motor mount. Pic three shows that bracket after a little persuasion with a hand sledge. Lol Fits like a glove now!!

As for uploading pics, cropping them first is what really did the trick.

Thanks to all that chimed in. You helped me out tremendously with both my motor issue and photo issue.

Attachments

• photo237455.jpg
    photo237455.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 0
  • photo237456.jpg
    photo237456.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo237457.jpg
    photo237457.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 0