15 hp mercury 2 stroke tiller operated, will not shift

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have 15hp, electric start, Mercury 2 stroke long shaft motor (circa 1995?) that was a kicker motor for a boat I had bought (and sold) several years ago. I have never used the motor, but the PO did start it up for me when I bought his boat, but did not put it into gear. After being in storage for about 5 years, I am trying to bring it back to life. I got it running today (on muffs) with a smooth idle. However, when I tried to put it into gear, the tiller handle would not twist in either direction. It felt like the linkage was locked up. Is there some safety-lock mechanism that would do this?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
No safety lock mechanism. First thing is disconnect the shift rod linkage under the carb for the lower unit. May need to take the starter off to get to it. Once it's disconnected try the throttle/shifter if it moves smoothly lower unit problem. This is assuming you have the tiller shifter.

rebars1

Thank you, flyingscott. Where can I order a service manual? Motor Serial Number is 0D224711

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The dealer will have the one you need. With the 6/8/9.9/15/18/20/25 motors I try to stay with a factory manual because of the shifting and throttle set-up on those models. One thing make sure you keep the lube lower unit changed and in good shape. They are not particularly strong units also change the waterpump. Yours is a 1993 model.

rebars1

After getting the shop manual, I began progressively disconnecting the vertical shift rod linkage, then the throttle linkage, then the shift linkage, and finally the tiller handle could turn. The problem turns out to be that the horizontal shift shaft was frozen (from either corrosion or 23 year old grease hardening at the pivot points). Through the portal on the starboard side of the motor casing, I was able get an open-ended wrench onto the end of the square horizontal shaft and began slowly working it back and forth, eventually through it full range of motion engaging the detent. It moves, but is still very stiff. I think I need to remove it, clean it and then reinstall it. My question is can I slide it out without having to remove the carburetor and every thing. Has anyone ever done this?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
On the left side of the motor when you are facing it there is a plate in the lower shroud that is removeable. Take the one nut that holds that in and you can pull the shaft out that way. No need to remove the carb there should be 2 plastic bushings in there

rebars1

I was able to get the port side bushing/lever out (connects to the vertical shift rod) to clean and re-lube. I could not get the starboard side shift lever/bushing out, but I was able to get it re-lubed and worked it more with a wrench. After reassembly, I am now able to shift gears OK using the tiller handle shifting, but is still seems a bit stiff. How easy should it be to turn the tiller handle for shifting and gas? (easy one-handed, firm one-handed; hard one-handed?)

Also, what should be the torque to use for the starter motor mounting bolts? I could not find them listed in the Mercury Manual.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
check to make sure the throttle lock is not tight should be easy one handed. The throttle lock will either be a knob on the tiller itself or just behind the rubber grip. You may need to lube the cables up. When you got the rod out and lubed up did it turn easy should be pretty loose.

rebars1

I loosened the throttle lock, which helped quite a bit. I was able to get the port side bushing out, cleaned and lubed. I was not able to pull the starboard side bushing and shift rod out, but I was able to get some fresh lube on it. The shifting is getting easier the more I work it. Right now I have firm one-handed shifting and easy throttle turning after it is in gear. It looks like there is a little rust on a couple of spots on the cables where they enter and exit their sleeve tubes. I will try getting the cables cleaned and lubed as well.