1998 Mercury 200 hp raises up in reverse

gdabel

Recruit
While in reverse, the motor raises up and lets down rapidly when returning to neutral. Also noticed that when i install the transom save, it doesnt trim down hard, which leads to motor jumping off bracket while trailering. It seems to hold position while moving down the lake. What would cause it not to hold the motor down in reverse. No seal leaks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Don't know about the reverse rise. But there is some type of reverse lock to stop that from happening and I think it's in the trim system, I'll let others comment on that.

Now - The transom defloppenizer. Don't you have a strap or bungee to hold the motor in the yoke of the defloppenizer? I haven't seen one that didn't have a bungee.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Obviously a 200 hp engine has power trim/tilt. If your engine responds as expected to trim settings at/near WOT in F gear it tells me that you piston sealing is functioning properly so I'd suspect your down valves (in the PTT unit) are not seating properly, allowing pressure to bleed off when subjected to it. Mechanical down latches, and other "hootuses" of the sort, are used on engines without PTT.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
See if you can find the manual trim screw and tighten it. It should be accessible thru a hole in the transom bracket of the motor.

tommarvin

Ensign
I think you need bracket or something to make sure the motor doesn't come down when trailering even if you have power trim and tilt?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I think you need bracket or something to make sure the motor doesn't come down when trailering even if you have power trim and tilt?

My personal experience with these brackets is that I'd rather do without. Last boat I had came with one and not having used one before, except for a 1965 Starcraft 18' Holiday I/O with a sloppy power tilt only and nothing to counter balance the outdrive like you get with OBs, I never used one. Main reason is movement of the trailer frame vs bunks and the PIA to fool with when launching/loading. On a lot of trailers with minimum framing and hitting a good pot hole, things move in different directions.

There is a caveat however, other than the I/O the engine, is my engines are in my rear view mirror and I keep tabs on where they are. Course if I had any kind of PTT issue then I would reconsider my position as I wouldn't have confidence in it protecting the engine while trailering.

I see a lot of them around. But that doesn't mean they're right for me. To each his own.

tommarvin

Ensign
No dude never said you needed the motor lock safety insurance, this is for the gdable forum, I was just throwing it out there so he knows he has choices.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
How did a problem with his T/N/T got to transom savers should get back on topic. A transom saver is not going to fix the problem with his tilt and trim. A correctly working T/N/T should be able to hold the motor down in reverse and snug the motor tightly into a transom saver without fear of it jumping out.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
How did a problem with his T/N/T got to transom savers should get back on topic. A transom saver is not going to fix the problem with his tilt and trim. A correctly working T/N/T should be able to hold the motor down in reverse and snug the motor tightly into a transom saver without fear of it jumping out.

+1.......

Dukedog

Captain
this.......

I think it's in the trim system..

​motor should not move in ANY direction (up or down) unless one of tha buttons is being pushed... could be as simple as low fluid (which usually lets ya know by sound) but probably not....should always trim down hard, and stay that way, against tha transom saver.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Because he also said in his post " Also noticed that when i install the transom save, it doesnt trim down hard, which leads to motor jumping off bracket while trailering."

And no a defloppenizer will not fix the TnT problem, but using it with the bungee might save the skeg until the trim is fixed.

We don't make stuff up - Usually. LOL

gdabel

Recruit
this.......

​motor should not move in ANY direction (up or down) unless one of tha buttons is being pushed... could be as simple as low fluid (which usually lets ya know by sound) but probably not....should always trim down hard, and stay that way, against tha transom saver.

I will check the bleeder scree to ensure its tight. I knew two things; 1) motor shouldnt raise up in reverse and 2) should power down and hold on my short transom saver. I dont hear "squealing" as i raise or lower that would represent air or low fluid. I will post what i find.
Someone mentioned a relief valve.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I still think you have a leaking check valve on the down side. Agree low fluid would allow for bubbles which would squeal when put under pressure.