Is a 1982 Mercury 110 9.8 worth my time?

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
Need some Mercury guru advice. Took my brand new Tohatsu 9.8 4-stroke off the jon boat and put it on the pontoon. Someone who I know well "gave" me the above mentioned Mercury. Supposed to have low hours for it's age, runs, has new impeller just needs a fuel pump because the fuel line barb is broken off and a new fuel tank.

I know nothing about Mercury's of this vintage, thinking about putting it on the jon boat for limited use on small lakes. Is this considered a reliable and trouble free motor?
I realize it's old but I'm mechanically inclined so I don't mind putting a little time and $$$ in it. Is it worth it?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you do minor maintenance, it will outlast your tohatsu. Extremely simple motor, relatively buletproof.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What's the serial number? Not sure which carb you have, but if it has the fuel pump on the side of the carb, the cover is less than 10 bucks. P/N 99941 if it is item 29 below.

fpcov.PNG

Scott Danforth

Staff member
If you have any questions, I have my 85 electric start going back together, I can probably answer anything

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I somewhat don't agree.
From what I have seen the powerheads themselves are quite reliable.
Ive picked of a lot of these that were considered junk.
Not one of them had a powerhead or compression issues.

Everything else just falls apart.
Hardware rusts, wires dry out and deteriorate, tiller handles stop rotating, drive shaft and lower rust into nothing.
Confusing serial number system.

I would take an Eveninrude any day.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks everyone, great to know I have lots of help if needed. A friend was going to junk this motor so I put in my trunk then onto the garage floor where it has sat ever since.

Hate to say this on the Mercury forum but I have a "barn find" 57 Johnson 7.5 Seahorse sitting on a sawhorse that I would really like to see running out on the lake, looking under the cowl makes your jaw drop, it looks like brand new. Not sure what to do with the Merc. but it was free. Can't have too many outboards! :facepalm: Also have Grandpa's Neptune Mighty-Mite that hasn't run in years, I guess I better get busy. :D

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Make sure you replace the coils and crank seal on that 57. Two known weak points, both of which will leave you stranded. Also, the Merk is 50:1, the old Johnny is 24:1

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
Due to all the wonderful knowledge on this site, without even touching it I purchased coils, wires, carb kit and a impeller right here at iboats.

Thanks for the tip on the crank seal Scott. I've been saving posts from here for when I actually start working on it. I also bought service, operator and parts manuals.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
No problem, I have an old Gale that runs great, but will be getting coils, seal, impeller and new fuel lines shortly from reading posts on here

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Good motor....50:1 oil ratio,run non ethanol fuel if you can find it, or use a tad higher octane fuel, with a additive. I advise to install a water pump kit on it, takes 30 min, You will be surprised at the performance....the motor was rated at 9.8 for use on hp restricted lakes. I've owned OMC's from the 50's,60's and 70's....the best place for them is on the rack in the back shed or LANDFILL IMHO,

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I somewhat don't agree.
From what I have seen the powerheads themselves are quite reliable.
Ive picked of a lot of these that were considered junk.
Not one of them had a powerhead or compression issues.

Everything else just falls apart.
Hardware rusts, wires dry out and deteriorate, tiller handles stop rotating, drive shaft and lower rust into nothing.
Confusing serial number system.

I would take an Eveninrude any day.

By the 1980s, most of the issued you list have been well taken care of. Mercury was late to the stainless game, but when they did jump on that bandwagon, they did quite well with it. Most of the wiring from 1980s era seems to hold up well, too. Now, mid 1970s and back - that's another story...

Duckinator

Cadet
I was given an old Merc 110 a few years ago too. Barely used, it looked great until I took the cover off and found most of the wiring has cracked/peeling insulation. I doubt its worth fixing up.

clueless75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an old 1969 merc 7.5hp that looks and runs like a dream. It's been mainly in only salt water all its life and has had no problems whatsoever. I rather prefer the old mercs because of how simple and reliable they are once they start going. If it has a few problems, they're typically easy to fix and the motor will be great again. Although they may be hard starting at times, once they start going they might never stop (until you run out of fuel, that is). As long as you maintain an old merc (or any motor for that matter) it'll run and keep running forever. If I were you, I'd definitely fix up that merc, it isn't even THAT old.... Once everything is tuned up, you'll be roarin past everyone! In my opinion, old mercs are pretty good, but the Johnson could be good too. Regardless of choice, both motors will get you on the water and you'll be happy I'm sure :)