!5 hp conversion

Papa Harry

Recruit
I have a 2000 15hp Mercury kicker Tiller type with a front mount shift handle outboard rope start
(SR# 0T077518 Model Number 1F15213WD) mounted to a Panther Power Tilt model 55 on a 28? Marinette which I wanted to convert to electric start.
I purchased Quicksilver Electric Start Conversion Kit 50-856555A1 and the remote control harness assembly (856554A1). I need to know which remote control box will work with my conversion and harness kit and if I can convert the throttle and shift to cable type in conjunction with the control box
I would like to purchase one that has power tilt rocker switch and tie my Panther into it.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Papa
Sorry I missed that you posted this over in the electrical forum yesterday, here in the Merc forum is a much better fit.

Try to avoid starting multiple topics about the same qystions. Any Mod can move topics from 1 forum to another.

I closed the other topic.

Best of luck w your project, and welcome to iboats

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I have a similar arrangement on my F26, although an Evinrude kicker. I have the Panther t. and t. but elected not to use it -- find I don't need it.

I've left the start button at the motor, and installed remote cables for shift and throttle. Without an electrical harness, all I needed at the helm is a one or two lever box to handle the cables. Ironically, I ended up with a box with t.and t. hookup and ignition switch -- but use only the cables.

My Panther unit is still in the box after a year, but comes with a switch that would presumably be placed at the helm. Suggesting that might be the only electrical hookup you need in a simple remote system for your trolling motor -- choice of boxes to handle shift and throttle.

A number of options and choices. (BTW, curious about the kicker mount you used on your Marinette. Mine is a horizontal mount on the swim platform.)

[ed. and might be interested in something like the Commander series remote (881170A20), with t and t and wire harness connection -- range of models. Will also need an attaching kit for your motor model, with appropriate cables. Complex enough to require a dealer visit IMO.]

Last edited:

Papa Harry

Recruit
[FONT=&quot]I mounted the Panther 55 to an outboard motor bracket which was bolted to the center of the swim platform (I had to make an adaptor plate due to the panther mounting hole pattern being wider than the existing bracket)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To make things a little more interesting, this motor has a Gramin TR 1 Gold (formerly Nautamatic) auto pilot system attached. My plan is to try to use the steering portion only as I don?t think the throttle portion of this unit could be used in conjunction with a cable system. I?m not sure of how I am going to tie in a shift cable as this motor has a front mount shift handle.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My goal is to operate this kicker from inside of the boat rather than crawling out onto the swim platform manually tilting and rope starting it every time I want to use it[/FONT]

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
No Title

Take your point on reaching out and over (with potential for falling in the lake). Auto pilot system is interesting -- considered that, but opted for a conventional steering system (had the various parts). The motor mount I use has holes for a tilt tube built into the bracket, but other solutions possible too.

Like your style there. I ended up with a steering station in the rear (open express cruiser). Looks like a tuna boat, but nothing permanent:

Attachments

• photo229569.jpg
    photo229569.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 0

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Yes you can your motor was available with no tiller handle. You will have to hunt down the parts to convert it or hopefully mercury makes aconversion kit. You will probabaly need a dealer to help you. Or you may be able to trade your tiller assembly for what you need

Last edited: