Runs fine but hard to start.

Ds2400

Recruit
2001 Mercury 2 stroke. I really struggle to get it started. It idles and runs great once i start it but as soon as i shut it off and try to restart it turns over but refuses to fire up. Ball fills up and stays full no apparent fuel leaks. Plugs are good. I try using choke and throttle too but just keeps turning over. Any suggestions?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
It shouldn't be necessary to use the warm-up or enrichener when starting a warmed up motor. If you are priming it when already warmed up, it is likely you're flooding it out, resulting in hard starting.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Whats the compression on this motor? I would check that first before going crazy looking at other issues. If it starts well on the muffs in the driveway, and harder in the water, that is a sign of bad crankcase or cylinder compression.

And obviously your choke works well?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
What engine? If it's the 90 triple, nature of the beast as far as I can tell. Mine was that way but mine sat for a month or so between outings. First start of the day and first hole shot was like that. After that, couldn't ask for a better engine all day. So I started running it the day before the outing on muffs and that pretty much solved the problem for me. Started right up the next day on the outing after that.