lower unit match ups

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
While out Sunday our 2002 2 stroke 40hp Mercury ELPTO died. While it hasn't been torn apart yet to see the actual damage I am pretty sure we need to find a new one. We couldn't even spin the starter with a rope and doesn't turn when bumped with the key. Just before she went we heard a funny sound we had never heard before. It didn't sound like metal on metal but was like a clunking sound. Then she died. Thank goodness we had SeaTow, otherwise it would have cost us 900 bucks to be towed back in.
Anyways I am searching for a motor to put on. I have seen a couple but they had no lower units. So my question is about finding a lower unit and if mine is still good what motors can it be used on ? Hope that makes sense.
Also will the controls I have work on any mercury or certain models ? Is there a lookup for that ?
Thanks. Still depressed so brain not working properly.
Mark

Fun Times

Staff member
Hi there, Do you have your engine serial number handy?

Fun Times

Staff member
Hello Funtime
SN is 0T501535

Thanks
Mark
0T501535 comes up as an MERCURY 40 ELPTO (2002) Model Number 1041412ZD. Parts catalog part number 90-803018 covers the 30/40 (2 Cylinder) 2-Stroke engine models. L = Long Shaft - 20 inches. Gear Ratio is 2.00:1.

To find a list of engine models that would utilize the lower gear housing for your engine model would be to go to Boats . net and input part number 821306T6 then scroll down for a big list of engine models and years to help you get an idea of what engine models you should be looking out for. When inspecting the engines, try to find both the model number and engine serial number usually on the white sticker of the mounting bracket.

The links are broken here on iboats do to vender competition so you'll have to search it on your own... The quickest way to find your engine over there is to search your engine model number online first then input the part number. Hope this helps a little, good luck.
http://www.boats . net/parts/detail/merc/M-821306T%206.html
-
821306T 8
GEAR HOUSING ASSEMBLY
(Short) (Model Version Length Designation: S = 15 Inch)
-
821306A55
GEAR HOUSING ASSEMBLY
(SL-Export Only) (Model Version Length Designation: SL = 17.5 Inch)
-
821306T 6
GEAR HOUSING ASSEMBLY
(Long) (Model Version Length Designation: L = 20 Inch)
-
821306A10
GEAR HOUSING ASSEMBLY
(LL) (Model Version Length Designation: LL = 22.5 Inch)

Last edited: