Using aftermarket fuel filters instead of OEM

rdhj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I figured Why I am replacing worn out parts , I should get a new fuel filter..Seeing that they want $16 bucks for the OEM and auto zone sells small engine filters for $4, I was wondering if there is any difference between OEM and a universal filter?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Personally, I would use the OEM one. If the flow characteristics are different, you don't want your fuel pump struggling to get fuel through it. In my 90HP, I don't really have a choice but I know Mercury says not too use additional filters between the tank and the motor because they are worried about flow.

Fun Times

Staff member
Just something extra to bear in mind for you...."Sometimes" during installation, fitment of an aftermarket part becomes not worth the few extra dollars you may be trying to save while let's say running all around town trying to find something that might work in it's place.

My old signature line use to say
In the long run, Using OEM parts just may cost you less money! ;)
Not saying it won't work in your case with the fuel filter but the hassel of it not fitting (or working) properly becomes a possibility that may end up costing you twice for the same part.;)