Mercury Bigfoot Pro Kicker 9.9 speed trolling problem

josh213

Recruit
I was wondering if any other Bigfoot Pro Kicker owners have had a problem with slow trolling? This past spring I purchased a new 9.9 Merc Bigfoot Pro Kicker and I haven't really been that happy with it. The throttle is extremely, extremely, touchy. There's sort of no in between of slower trolling and then going what I believe to be too fast. I would like to get down to around 1.2-1.5mph and it's tough for me to get there. And IF I am able to get there I have trouble staying there. If I'm there for any length of time I feel like after a little while the engine just dies down and then I'm around 0.5mph to basically idle. It's been a pain and kind of frustrating. I was wondering if anyone else has had problems slow trolling with the Pro Kicker, and if so what you done to fix the problem?

This is my first ever kicker and I'm not a mechanically incline person so any help or insight anyone might have would be appreciated. Would a new prop help? I started looking into the itroll yesterday. Do you think a product like that would that solve my problem and get me to consistently stay at a slower trolling speed? I haven't talked with the dealer I bought the motor from to see if anything could be adjusted because I wasn't happy with the service. Sometimes it doesn't pay to go with the cheaper place. I'm hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction. Thanks for any help anyone could provide.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Well, I typed this out once and the screen froze and I lost everything, so I'll try it again.

This is common on several brands of small 4 strokes, it's partially due to the extremelly lean jetiing required by the EPA emission regulations.

The idle air adjustment screw is covered by a small, normally brass, plug, you can pry and/or drill this cap out and then adjust the screw, this can help with RPM controll just off idle. It's not hard to do, but you at least need to know what the carb looks like and where to find it.

And I'll add, the dealer can't do this, it's illegal for them to adjust jetting, the dealer can only replace the carb and hope the motor runs better with a new one.

Last edited:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
A lower pitch prop solved the problems with my kicker,...

An troll master or i troll is on my want list,.....

josh213

Recruit
Thank You ondarvr for the information. I appreciate it. I'm a little nervous drilling anything since I'm not mechanically incline. But if the plug can be pryed out and put back in with somewhat ease I am willing to try that. Is it easy to pry out? And if I pry it out can it be put back in, incase it doesn't work any better? I'm just nervous because I don't know what I'm really doing and because the motor is brand new.

Thank You teamster for also responding. Did you have the Big Foot Pro kicker and then switched out the factor prop to the lower pitched prop or was it a different manufacturer? Also if it was a Merc what pitch prop did switch to?

Thanks for the help to both of you!!!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I've got an older Merc 9.9 4 stroke,...

I went from a 3 blade 9 pitch to a 4 blade 5 pitch Solaras,...I bought here in the I-Boats store,...

It allowed the motor to run happy at a higher rpm and still troll down to .8mph,......

What pitch prop are you running now?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You don't replace the plug, it's just put there to prevent someone from turning the screw, you can leave it off. To adjust it just trun it slightly either way to see where it runs best. Many people resort to an electronic throttle control to troll with, it can be handy, but some are costly.

Changing the prop can help, and in some cases makes a big improvement in boat control, doing both can help even more.

Last edited:

josh213

Recruit
Hi Teamster, Thanks for the information on your prop. Right now I have a 4 blade prop. I'll be honest though I don't know what pitch it is. It's whatever came standard with the motor. I will email Mercury and ask them what comes standard. Depending on what they tell me I may look into a different prop. Thanks for the help!

Hi Ondarvr, Thanks for the information also. I may try doing what you said in the spring...though I'm going to have to rope one of my friends that is more mechanically incline then me to help me out. It sounds like it might not be that hard to remove the plug and adjust the screw...so I may try this come spring time. Only thing holding me back is the engine is brand new...I hate messing with something brand new but if this helps me then it may be worth it.

Thanks so much to both of you for your help! I really appreciate it!