1985 Mercury 18XD

SwampJumper

Cadet
First i would like to say Hello to everyone for i am new to this Form.

Hoping for a little help with this motor. i have a 1985 Mercury 18XD serial # is A186765. I replaced the power pack, plugs, fuel filter, gas lines, and a new line for the tank to the carb. was running great but now it will not start. if i spray just a little starter fluid in it it will run. if i let it set a day or two it will not start and have to use the SF again to get it to run. Any thoughts on this problem.

Thanks in Advance for any help.

SwampJumper

SwampJumper

Cadet
can you explain what and how i do that please. It's almost like the choke is not even working, i can pull it out and nothing moves inside the carb.

Attachments

• IMG_2390.JPG
    IMG_2390.JPG
    344.6 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is no choke flapper that moves that you would see.-----Look for a system that operates to provide more fuel.-----Post more pictures of carburetor so that can be pointed out to you.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Take the hood off of your motor and look on the right side of the carb. While looking there pull the knob out should see an arm drop on to a plastic stem and push on it. That is the primer. Now open the throttle all the way and get a flashlight look down the bore of the carb and pull the choke knob out should see a stream of gas going into the motor everytime you pull on it. It's a small stream of gas so it will be hard to see. Also Make sure the carb is full of fuel when you do this.

SwampJumper

Cadet
Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• IMG_2390.JPG
    IMG_2390.JPG
    326.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2391.jpg
    IMG_2391.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2392.jpg
    IMG_2392.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Third picture shows the primer unit.-----You might want to check if it in fact works.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Was that pic taken with the knob pulled out if not the arm should not be resting on it.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
pull the knob in and out make sure that arm moves if not something probably broke. That lever should be straight up and down with the knob pushed in.

Last edited:

SwampJumper

Cadet
If i understand this right, the black arm on top of the blue rod should be stright up when the knob is pushed all the way in.?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I am sorry no the lever is not straight up and down should be close to the post. Is the blue post broke looks like something jammed under the lever. Once again I apologize for the bad answer I was thinking of a different set-up. But check the post and see what the blue piece is under the lever.

Last edited:

SwampJumper

Cadet
The Blue thing is some part of the primer system. i think. this picture is the carb kit i used to rebuild the carb. it runs great but just will not start with the knob pulled out. their is no in between on the knob, either it is all the way out or pushed in. No click in the middle. if i hit it with starter fulid it will run and starts every time after that.

Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• 139597611.jpg
    139597611.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 0

SwampJumper

Cadet
i moves when i pull the knob in and out. not sure if its really working on the inside though.

SwampJumper

Cadet
if you look at the spec's on marineengine.com it looks like there is a wire that should be on there but it is not on mine. The knob only moves that arm to the blue rob witch is the primer. nothing moves on the inside of carb. If i turn the throutle wide open then it opens that flap on the inside of carb. In nutral the flap is closed like in chock mode.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Ok the whole top of the arm is broke off will need to be replaced the wire goes under the flywheel to the magneto. Look up the serial# of your motor you will need to replace those parts. The knob works when you pull it all the way out it primes the motor and pulls the magneto forward for a fast idle. 1/2 way in is the warm up idle all the way in normal idle. The wire part# is 12733. The arm is 42515A 1. Double check the numbers should be what you need.

Last edited: