'71 Merc 500 lower unit hard parts

68C15

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Boating and fishing life has been fun and reliable so I haven't been here asking for help in a long while. That is all changing now though. I let my nephew borrow my boat a few times later this summer to use on local lakes. Then I went to put it away for winter and noticed with controls in forward position the prop spins freely. I winterized the boat and removed the lower unit for investigation. I removed the prop and the big nut was broken. Uh-oh. The prop shaft was moving in and out almost 1/4" by hand. Using slide hammer and hook on outer ring of bearing carrier, alternating positions and taking my time it finally came out. So did a chocolate shake of gear oil and water.

what I found is the bearing carrier is literally broken, and bearings are rusty. The gears are fine and the nephew is back to shore fishing from now on.

Where can I find another bearing carrier? All the usual sources come up dry

serial number on the 1971 Mercury 500 is 3011762

68C15

Petty Officer 2nd Class
the part in question is #69 in this diagram

Mod EDIT: link removed

Last edited by a moderator:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Depends on your location.----Most shops might have few kicking around in a bin.----And try EBAY too.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Use the part # provided by that diagram, Mercury 55904A1, and search using google. I found at least 2 for sale, 1 on ebay currently. I deleted the link, because they don't just sell vintage parts that Iboats doesn't carry.