Still no reverse!

shreker

Cadet
Okay guys, so I changed out the reverse gear and the merc control, slave clutch dog, the shebang ga bang!!! I took her out today and I still have no reverse! the merc controller is brand new but the cables are not, in fact they are the original. I can put it into reverse with me using my finger to push the slide back. and it locks! any ideas fellas!!!! Thanks again by the way it is a 73' mercury 850 4 cyl thunderbolt.......

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Are you moving the shift slide with the cable attached?

If you can shift in and out of gear by moving the shift arm without removing the shift cable on the motor end, the cable is probably bad.

shreker

Cadet
Are you moving the shift slide with the cable attached?

If you can shift in and out of gear by moving the shift arm without removing the shift cable on the motor end, the cable is probably bad.

I can move it into reverse with the cable attached. and it moves a lot better without it attached

GA_Boater

If the handle on the remote isn't moving with the cable attached, you have a bad cable.

shreker

Cadet
If the handle on the remote isn't moving with the cable attached, you have a bad cable.

I have to move the lever far forward before it starts to throttle up and the reverse goes but sounds like it doesn't engage all the way and starts to skip the gears like its bumping but engaging.

would this be the cables for my boat? ​

GA_Boater

No. You say it;s go shifting into reverse. If the throttle cable is on the shifter and vice versa, you have something similar to what is happening,

To make sure, disconnect the cables on the motor and stick them out of the side of the motor so you can see Move the throttle on the shifter from neutral to forward and the shift cable is the first one to move and when it stops moving the throttle cable begins to move.

See what happens.

shreker

Cadet
No. You say it;s go shifting into reverse. If the throttle cable is on the shifter and vice versa, you have something similar to what is happening,

To make sure, disconnect the cables on the motor and stick them out of the side of the motor so you can see Move the throttle on the shifter from neutral to forward and the shift cable is the first one to move and when it stops moving the throttle cable begins to move.

See what happens.

okay.... i'll try that tomorrow. but it does go into forward and engage the gear but reverse it trys but just doesn't go all the way in.

GA_Boater

That could be the problem because the throttle cable doesn't have the reverse stroke front idle.

See what happens, I could be wrong. But it's worth checking.

Is this a new to you motor?

shreker

Cadet
That could be the problem because the throttle cable doesn't have the reverse stroke front idle.

See what happens, I could be wrong. But it's worth checking.

Is this a new to you motor?

yes very new motor! its a good motor and I know it has potential!