Just found milky oil inside my engine on 6 HP mercury

rdhj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
saw some white looking oil on the intake for the carb and decided to look inside the engine at the dipstick only to find a very light milkshake in there. I just spent a ton of money getting a new lower put on. The shop also replaced something called a powerhead gasket. I noticed oil spitting out of a gasket on the bottom of the engine under the head. Do these details give you any idea of why I may have water in the oil? What is the most commons causes of this.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Probably changed just the powerhead gasket and didn't replace the lower gasket. Usually if the powerhead is removed from middle pan must install a new base gasket. Check if all bolts that holds powerhead to pan are well adjusted tight.

4 strokes OB's do "make oil", condensation inside powerhead rises oil level and contaminates inside oil. Change oil and filter add just enough oil for mark to be in middle of dip stick.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

rdhj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I really don't know anything about the parts of an outboard...do you know where i can get a diagram of all the motor parts to see what I need to check the bolts on. or describe it or send a pic

rdhj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I talked to the boat mechanic today and am taking the motor there tomorrow. They replaced the driveshaft housing gasket when they installed the new lower end. When it was running, there was water spitting out of the rear of this gasket. They said that it could be what it letting the water get into the oil. Anyone ever have this problem and could explain what is happening in detail if this is my issue?