1968 35 hp twin Mercury outboard shift problems after impeller install

Hello, I have changed out impeller many times on this motor but never experienced this before. after install of new water pump housing and impeller I did as usual. Put motor position in forward, put lower shift shaft all the way clockwise, and put reverse lock cam in correct position. When I start motor and Mercontrol in NEUTRAL, prop spins. When placed in FORWARD, prop spins same direction. When put in REVERSE, prop still spins in same direction. Any help would be great. Thank You Dave

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The shift shaft splines probably didn't mesh and the coupler on the upper shaft is sitting on top of the lower shift shaft. That same thing happens to me about 1 out of 4 times.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You should not turn it ALL THE WAY clockwise.-----Put it in nuetral and put control in nuetral.---Then assemble it.

I will try putting it in neutral and try again but Clymer's and Merc manual says put it in Forward gear and crank shift rod to clockwise. It has always worked for me but I will try your way. Dave

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Forward / nuetral / reverse does not matter.-----Just make sure the control box and lower unit are the same just before you slide it together.

I tried putting shift rod at neutral and mercontrol in neutral and does not work. Any other thoughts? Could it be a problem deeper into lower unit at end of shift rod. The shift rod turns easy about half turn and stops. Dave

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It takes some effort to get to nuetral.----There is a strong spring on the clutch dog that must be compressed.-----Usially some pliers required.

GA_Boater

Inside the lower unit. You need the pliers on the shift shaft. The springs aren't that strong, but too strong to rotate the shift shaft with your fingers.

Thank You all for the information. I will be working on the motor tomorrow and will convey what happens. Just would like to know, the shift shaft turns with my fingers very easy about 3/4 of a turn. Seems like there should be some resistance. Is that normal? Dave

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Yes, that is normal. If you turn it past the easy part, you'll feel resistance. That's when you're pushing on the shift plunger inside.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Yes, that is normal. If you turn it past the easy part, you'll feel resistance. That's when you're pushing on the shift plunger inside.

Then if you keep turning, you will feel 3 spring loaded detents and the first one will be either F or R depending on which way you are turning. If you go to the middle detent, it doesn't matter in that you will be in N.

merc850

Commander
This is how I do it in about 60 sec.: Turn the LU shift shaft by hand counter-clockwise until it
stops, then with Vise Grips tight on the bottom of the shaft turn it a
few more degrees CCW until it clicks into a stop, this
should be neutral - check by turning propshaft --
prop should spin freely.
Put control in N and go ahead and attach LU to driveshaft housing some turning of the flywheel will help the DS splines align.
Do not shift into reverse unless you turn the prop at the same time.

GA_Boater

Come on. Merc. I searched and found this and was going to copy it to the thread. Almost gave you an unforced dupe. LOL

This is about the easiest way to find neutral. One of the problems with reinstalling in gear is it can pop out of gear the wrong way. In neutral the springs hold it in neutral.

merc850

Commander
Those instructions should be posted as a "tip" link to help all those guys with this problem; there seems to be a lot of help needed with this procedure.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
????---The spring does not hold it in nuetral.------The spring is there to move the clutch dog along the prop shaft !!----The shift cam is not attached to the clutch dog.------A slight bump during assembly may allow the spring to put it into forward.----More so if there is wear on the ramp of the shift cam.

GA_Boater

????---The spring does not hold it in nuetral.------The spring is there to move the clutch dog along the prop shaft !!----The shift cam is not attached to the clutch dog.------A slight bump during assembly may allow the spring to put it into forward.----More so if there is wear on the ramp of the shift cam.

For simple explanation it does. The spring is fighting against moving out of neutral and as you say, with a bump it can pop out of forward. You can feel it when using the pliers to shift, harder out of neutral and easier from forward back to neutral. My experience, anyway.

GA_Boater

Those instructions should be posted as a "tip" link to help all those guys with this problem; there seems to be a lot of help needed with this procedure.

Why? :wink:

I was looking for it to stickie, Merc. All done.

Thank You, All you guys who responded to my post, your great! I finally got the thing all hooked up and works great. For some of you I guess the procedure is childs play but for me its like I'm doing some intricate mechanic work.I have asked questions on this forum for several years and you folks seem to always have the correct answers. Not too late in the weekend to get out on the sea! Thanks Again, Kind Regards, Dave