1988 Mercury Classic 50 Tach Wiring

bstig60

Seaman
I have searched hi and lo and have not been able to find the correct wiring diagram for my Sierra Tachometer on my 88 Merc classic 50. My control doesn't have the plug for the tach on it. Anyone know how to wire it up or is there wiring for the tach going to the shifter control?

bstig60

Seaman
I have a 1988 Merc classic 50 45HP engine. I want to install a Sierra Tachometer. The tach is supposed to work on an outboard. I tried some ways to wire the sensor wire to the motor but none work. I also played with the setting on the tach. I am told to wire it to one of the posts on the rectifier/regulator, but that doesn't seem to work. There is also a 5 pin plug with an external brown wire on my control module. I tried wiring to the brown lead which is what the wiring diagram shows and it doesn't work either. Any suggestions????

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Tach needs power which is usually red with purple stripe or purple wire.
Return, ground, battery neg. is the black wire.
Tach signal comes from the rectifier module and is grey.
Merc uses a 6 pole setting on tachs.

Try that

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The tach is wired with +12 volts ("I" terminal) connected to the "I" terminal on any other gauge. Same for ground, and same for the "L" (internal light). The "S" terminal is only "engine related" wire and that is typically a gray wire in the harness going into the shift/throttle control box.

bstig60

Seaman
Thanks for the response.... I am aware of the battery and ground terminal requirements. However on this boat there isn't any wiring under the consol that isn't on all the time, nothing switched. So I am going to have to go to the engine cabling to find switched battery for the tach. Not a big deal...... My problem is the Gray wire on this wiring harness is the electric choke. The wiring diagram I have in the Seloc manual leaves a lot to be desired and I have not been able to find anything better on line. What I need to know is where the tach is connected on the engine. I tried the pig tail that comes out of the shift controls and per the Seloc wiring diagram the brown wire should be the tach S lead, but the tach doesn't work using it. Any idea where it connects on the engine itself? If I can find that out, have spare wires in the wiring harness that I can use for a tach 'S' wire.

bstig60

Seaman
1988 Mercury Classic 50 45hp Tach Wiring

I have searched hi and lo and have not been able to find the correct wiring diagram for my Sierra Tachometer on my 88 Merc classic 50. My shift control doesn't have the plug for the tach on it. But it does have a 1 foot long pigtail located below the kill switch with a 5 pin rubber plug on it and a brown wire outside the plug that is not connected to anything. Anyone know what the pigtail is for and how to wire it up the tach or is there wiring for the tach going to the shifter control?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
bstig - Don't start more than one topic on any problem. All that does is confuse those trying to help you.

What's your serial number?

EDIT - The three threads on this one issue are now one.

Last edited:

bstig60

Seaman
Sorry, I know better as I am a moderator on another forum. I didn't remember already starting another post on the same topic.... I will be more careful next time.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I have searched hi and lo and have not been able to find the correct wiring diagram for my Sierra Tachometer on my 88 Merc classic 50. My shift control doesn't have the plug for the tach on it. But it does have a 1 foot long pigtail located below the kill switch with a 5 pin rubber plug on it and a brown wire outside the plug that is not connected to anything. Anyone know what the pigtail is for and how to wire it up the tach or is there wiring for the tach going to the shifter control?

The 5 pin connector is probably for an instrumentation cluster plug rather than discrete wiring. Tan in later models was for oil/temp problems and becomes ground when a fault occurs which activates the alarm or in the case of the separate wire, a dash/remotely mounted light....for situations when you can't hear the horn due to too much background noise from engines/onboard equipment so a light bulb with 12v on one side and the tan wire on the other would show you that you have a problem.

If you are talking about brown, like a pair of brown shoes then you have to back track to Merc wiring harness color codes in years past. My color mentions are for engines built in the last 25-30 years.

bstig60

Seaman
No Title

The engine is apparently an 88 Classic 50, 45HP. I am sure the control pigtail is for an instrument cluster. I have been told that the wiring for the pigtail is as follows: Gray= tach sensor; purple=+12v; black= -12v (negative); tan/blue=temp sensor; brown/white=trim sensor;..... There is also a solid brown wire that is external to the rubber plug, but in the pigtail, haven't identified this wire. Can you confirm any of this wiring. Is there a wiring diagram available for this engine. Here is a pic of the control I have.

Attachments

• photo234081.JPG
    photo234081.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 3

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Looks like an early model Quicksilver Commander 2000 since it mounts on the bulkhead, not in it and the control and electrical cables are exposed. I think I see a kill switch under the key switch and trim controls in the handle.

Mr. b, that purple or red with purple stripe is not 12v perse. Red is 12v. When you add purple the caveat is the ignition switch has to be somewhere besides off to get 12v which is what you want when you want to turn everything off when the boat is not being used.

I asked before about the "brown" wire. Is it brown shoe brown or tan? Is it part of the harness and pigtailed out or is it alongside the harness like an aftermarket add on for some specific function?

Brown/white....trim sensor? Do you mean a wire that would contain position information for engine trim if it had a sensor? That may be a companion to the brown (shoe brown???) that you referred to.

Other than the brown as mentioned above, your assessment of functionality per color is accurate. In addition there is a red with yellow stripe which is voltage from the key in the Start position to the starting solenoid coil to activate it and spin the starter. Then there is black with yellow stripe and yellow with black stripe. First one is engine kill aka ground from the key switch in the OFF position. It grounds out your triggers and kills the engine. Then there is the choke or fuel enrichment 112v for the yellow blk stripe. When you push in on the key you put 12v on that wire.

That about covers it for an 8 pin connector. Only other thing would be PTT signals which would be 12v on the blue for trim up and 12v on the green for trim down (blue sky, green grass). This signal level (just energizes the circuit not high current drive power.....like the red/yel stripe does for the starter solenoid) signal power goes to the trim relays/solenoids in the engine.

bstig60

Seaman
The control is a Commander 2000 series. I found a wiring diagram for it. Here's the link; http://www.boatwire.info/images/remotes/rem_mercury.gif
I also found a NOS wiring harness for the instrument panel that plugs into the pigtail on the Control. That will give me the power and sensor for the tach as well as trim sensor and temperature sensor if I want to install the gauges. at a later date. That brown wire comes out of the harness and is shown on the diagram I mentioned, it is Tan not Brown, and doesn't appear to be connected to anything, the wire was just dirty I guess..... When the wiring harness gets here next week, I will go ahead and wire things up. Thank you very much for your valuable assistance.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Good luck. Looks like you are on your way to a successful conclusion.

bstig60

Seaman
Tach wiring harness came today. I will hook it up when I get back into town on Monday.............

bstig60

Seaman
Tach wiring setup worked fine, however I found the rectifier was bad. I replaced it with a Sierra 18-5707 and now the tach works fine, but the voltage is running too high... 16.9 volts at rpm as read on my Furuno GPS GP-36.