1999 Mercury Force 120 lower unit removal

prodjbm

Recruit
Can anyone help me with the details of removing a lower unit from the subject line motor. reason for needing to do this is I am observing oil coming out from a hole above the prop and I was told that there is a seal in the lower unit that could be bad. I am believing this to be true because when changing my lower unit oil not very much came out. Also, what seal would need to be replaced
Thank you
Bill

lower1.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You would test the lower unit with some air pressure to see if there is a leak.----And exactly how much oil came out when you drained it ?

prodjbm

Recruit
What exactly would I do to test with air pressure? Sorry, I am new to boating but I am very mechanically inclined. How much oil came out? I would say only about 10 ounces come out of the lower unit when draining, unfortunately there was other oil in the pan it was drained into so that is a guess.

Thanks
BIll

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Most shops use an adapter with a shreader valve that screw into the drain hole.----Put 5 PSI air pressure on it and observe the gauge.--------You do this testing because you may NOT have an oil leak !-----Oil leaking out of small drain holes is normal.---Yes normal.----That leakage has been discussed on forums hunderds of times.