Mercury 115 Tower of Power won't fire?

I'm working on a Mercury 115 Tower of Power..I can't seem to get it to even try to turn over..it is getting fuel pumped all the way to the carbs..it had a friend hold the plug wire to the plug while I turned the ignition and there was no spark.please point me in the right direction to go from here..I'm not a very savvy marine guy.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The reason for questions is that there is no inline 6 in the parts list for 1989.---Serial # or pictures.-----What is your starting procedure ?----Are you pushing the key in while cranking ?

I could be mistaken on the year..I was told it's an 89..but it is definitely an in line 6. I am pushing g in the key while starting. It sat for 5 years until I got it a few days ago if that helps any.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Kill switch checked ?----------Carburetors may be plugged from sitting with fuel in them.----If it came with an autoblend unit then that oil tank must be tossed out !

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Disconnect the black/yellow kill wire at the two switchboxes, and retest spark. If spark returns, you have a ground somewhere in the ign kill circuit. if that doesn't work, go on the CDIElectronics web site and run the troubleshooting test fotr the Inline six ADI ignition system.

Since it sat for so long, it probably makes sense to clean and rebuild all the carbs.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Josh, There are two switchboxes, fed by yellow wires from under the flywheel. These switchboxes pulse each ign coil to produce spark to each spark plug. There is a black/yellow wire on each switchbox, which when grounded by the ign keyswitch, will kill spark. If the black/yellow wires is grounded anywhere, you will not have any spark.

That is the first test. After that, the other suspects are the stator, triggers and the associated wiring.