96. 9.9 dies when accelerating

TraskRiver

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys
Have a 1996 merc 9.9 4 stroke, electric choke
Starts and runs great but bogs down and dies when accelerating.
It's a low hours motor but has sat most of its life.
Cleaned the carb thoroughly twice to no avail. Also cleaned fuel filter.
Choke seems to work, on start it has high idle then settles down too nice idle.
Gonna put a new plug in it and see if that helps.
Any other ideas? Rebuild kit? Pump diaphragm is showing signs of wear but seems to function as it should.

Thanks in advance

Also, I'm not sure I'm installing the electric choke right. There are 2 metal brackets that mount with it but don't seem to do/go to anything... I thought when I removed it that one bracket went under the choke and one over but that didn't make sense...being there is a round gasket under the choke and that bracket would prevent the choke from seating on the gasket if that makes sense to anyone.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
its not a conventional choke, its a enricher, the tip of the solenoid plunger has rubber tip that covers a small hole in the barb body when used, as for the bogging thats a sigh of fuel starvation and can be caused by several things carb float height due to mis setting or a heavy float or a stopped up main jet or fuel passage, or hoses and tank things, if you have the gray fuel line i would start with that as a cause

Last edited:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Try taking the hood off and see if it runs normal,...

Might be an exhaust leak under the hood causing to to run badly,..

I've got one of those doing that right now and need to get it in this fall,...

TraskRiver

Seaman Apprentice
Gotcha. Figured it was a lack of fuel. I will start eliminating things and working from the carb to the tank. Ive cleaned every jet in the carb. Checked the needle valve and float setting as well. But, I could be missing something so I'll tear it down once more for good measure.
The fuel lines are gray... Though I also use the same fuel line for the main engine which has no running issues.
Thanks

Teamster,
Ive been running it without the hood. Still same issue. Thanks

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Well at least it isn't that,..

Mine will idle fine, When I put it into gear for trolling it chokes down, Take the hood off and it purr's like a kitten.