1987 mercury 35 Hp with manual tilt how to lift and lower

Status
Not open for further replies.

zpalffy

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a 1987 mercury 35 Hp with manual tilt. How do you manually raise the motor and lower the motor from inside the boat. I bought the engine manual but it only refers to power tilt and trim. Thanks

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Mercurys without trim & tilt typically have to be in forward gear to release the reverse lock. The lock prevents the motor from kicking up on its own in reverse. It's a catch that engages two claws onto the tilt pin when in neutral or reverse. To disengage it, just kick it into forward gear on the throttle box and lift the motor. There is a hand-hold on the rear of the top cowling that is the recommended spot to pull upon. Once up, there is a locking bracket that you can manually kick down to lock it in the up position.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Are you wanting to change the trim while on the water? To raise and lower non-TnT motor from inside a boat is just about impossible. With two people on board it can be done, but it isn't real easy.

I know that isn't what you wanted to hear, sorry.

zpalffy

Seaman Apprentice
Mercurys without trim & tilt typically have to be in forward gear to release the reverse lock. The lock prevents the motor from kicking up on its own in reverse. It's a catch that engages two claws onto the tilt pin when in neutral or reverse. To disengage it, just kick it into forward gear on the throttle box and lift the motor. There is a hand-hold on the rear of the top cowling that is the recommended spot to pull upon. Once up, there is a locking bracket that you can manually kick down to lock it in the up position.
Thank you I have seen the locking bracket and the hand-hold. Ok thats good to know that it has to be in the in forward gear so now I can pull it up to put the boat in the water and list it up to take the boat out of the water. Now what do I do to get the motor to lock back down into the normal position. Still keep it in the forward gear as I lower it ?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
You don't need to have it in forward to drop it back down, as the latches are tapered to clip over the tilt pin when lowered. They latches should just pop back over the pin.

zpalffy

Seaman Apprentice
You don't need to have it in forward to drop it back down, as the latches are tapered to clip over the tilt pin when lowered. They latches should just pop back over the pin.
Thanks I will try it

zpalffy

Seaman Apprentice
Welcome aboard.

Are you wanting to change the trim while on the water? To raise and lower non-TnT motor from inside a boat is just about impossible. With two people on board it can be done, but it isn't real easy.

I know that isn't what you wanted to hear, sorry.
no I would need to raise the motor to get it on the trailer and I would need to lower it when I put the boat in the water

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Is the skeg so low that it will drag on the ramp if you drop the motor after you back down the ramp just before getting into the water? Just curious because I have tried to lift the motor on the water and it's just too darned heavy to get it high enough.

zpalffy

Seaman Apprentice
Is the skeg so low that it will drag on the ramp if you drop the motor after you back down the ramp just before getting into the water? Just curious because I have tried to lift the motor on the water and it's just too darned heavy to get it high enough.
dont know will have maiden launch in 2 weeks will let you know

Fclake

Cadet
I have a similar problem with my 1986 Mercury 25hp with remote.
When I put it in gear (engine off) it will not release the motor to tilt.
Sometimes it does! But mostly it doesn’t.
I don’t mind to pull the hooks back myself but it’s tricky in the water.
Is it unsafe to use when cruising & it’s locked like that? How do I fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.