Where is the thermostat on my 1984 75 hp 4 cyl Mariner ?

ROYEK

Recruit
I have looked all over to find the thermostat.On a 1984 75 hp 4 cyl merc has one by # 1 spark plug. Mine none.I looked in parts books & shows none. I can't believe a motor this size has none. Motor runs ok but runs cold. Is Mariner a cheaper Mercury ? Anybody know? Thankyou.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A lot of the inline Merc/Mariners did not have thermostats. i.e. my 150 HP inline six did not have one.

Mercs and Mariners are the same, as far as I know. Maybe your Mariner is older than you think.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
That's why you can't find it. Seems back in the days of Lake X testing in Florida, they decided that a 40kv ignition was worth a lot more than temperature controlled cooliong, especially when the engine was working in a salt water (highly corrosive) environment. Course they made some mistakes in that regard also back in the '60's and before when they were running carbon steel shafts in salt water when OMC had sense enough to go with Stainless. They finally discovered the error of their ways on the shafts.....glad I wasn't a marine mechanic back then. Doing an impeller replacement had to be a bear, big grizzly.