2004 Mercury 60/40 Jet oil injection removal/bypass?

JBsteelie

Cadet
Hello All. I bought this motor brand new and it has been flawless for me in the 11 years owning it and running it ALOT. I recently had someone tell me about how his oil injected mercury jet had a failure and seized up which totaled it, having to replace it with a new motor. After searching online, this seems to be an issue but what I saw was mainly 80's and 90's model mercs and Evo motors with oil injector failures. Something tells me to bypass it and start premixing it, but I do love the convenience of the built in oil reservoir not having to do the mix. I understand that it's a plastic gear or bearing that causes most of the failures but not sure for my year motor. I was hoping to get some opinions here on whether to bypass the auto oil injection, or to keep running it as is.

Thanks in advance
Jake B.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Mercs with them bottom driven oil gear rarely fail unless overheated, most of the failures are on the early V-6 motors.If it was mine I would leave it be....JMO

JBsteelie

Cadet
Thanks for the reply Fazbullet. I use this motor year round (appx. 30-60 times during the year) mostly short runs upriver on PacNW rivers, and redrifting fishy water. So I don't think overheating issues *should* be a problem. Maybe running the motor 20 min max at cruising speeds up the river. I'm thinking to keep it as is, but would hate to see a good motor burn out due to an injection issue.