trim and tilt 1972 mercury 800 80 hp outboard 4 cylinder

oldglastron

Seaman Apprentice
Hi I have a 72' 800 with trim and tilt, I'm looking for a diagram for the lower half of the pump with the springs and detent balls.I took pics on my phone when I tore it down but my phone broke I lost all the images. The number stamped on the unit is 105255 also the number on the lower half is 45197. I own the OE book and parts manual but there are very few diagrams. This is the twin cylinder design that has the motor built onto the top of the reservoir.
Thanks for your help hopefully some of the old school mercury guys have a parts break down.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
It sounds like you are talking about the control valve that bolts to the bottom of the PTT pump/reservoir. If so, I have always heard that those are non serviceable. They were replacement only.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've been working on my trim pump, 1995 Mariner 115, and it's pump is considered 'non serviceable' too, which I assume because there's no info or instructions to be found anywhere TO service it. But, it DOES come apart and IS serviceable, although you may have to find or make your own parts!

I have pics of mine, which are going to be quite different than yours I'm sure, but they still may be of some help...

tpump12.jpg

tpump13.jpg

Last edited:

oldglastron

Seaman Apprentice
Mine is similar it is the older rectangular version. I remember reading you can swap out the old pump with the new style which new style is it the motor has twin lift cylinders. Thanks guys you are correct its not a servicable part. this thing is so pitted on the inside I can see why it wont hold the cylinders up at all.
If anybody can give me a good part number for the style that works it would be much appreciated, im guessing its one of the pumps that fits the alpha and bravo stern drives?