No start 1984 Mercury 50 - getting spark and fuel

Dpayette

Recruit
Troubleshooting an old boat, and it seems to me I am getting fuel and spark. The boat has sat for the last five years. It turns and turns, but I don't even get s shred of life out of two days of working on it. I have tried starting fluid through the carbs and in each cylinder. I also have tried different choke and throttlenpositions while starting. I primed the bulb until it was not squishy, and opened the fill on the tank to prevent. A vacuum or siphon.

I have cleaned the carbs, replaced the plugs, using new fuel at fifty to one, and am running out of ideas. I cannot verify compression, but seem to be getting a good suck and push on each cylinder through the cycle. When turning the motor over without plugs, i see a vapor in the sunlight so I am ruling ou getting fuel to the cylinders. I also have spark.

I am thinking there is a kill switch somewhere I cannot find. I have removed the Mercury tilt switch, but no change.

I'm about to drop it off at a repair shop, any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm mechanically declined!!! so, I'm always getting into what I might not ought to :lol: Anyway, to keep from getting raped by a shop, a service/shop manual is mandatory. Or, you can look online at websites for Mercury Parts - I like http://www.marineengine.com/ for diagrams, you can find less expensive parts elsewhere.
If it won't bust off and you're getting spark and chances are the timing has not changed just sitting, but you are not getting the fuel like you think you are. Here's an easy test - THROW AWAY all starting fluid and squirt premixed fuel into the barrels. Any aerosol dilutes/destroys the oil that's supposed to be lubricating your motor.
If she runs or tries to run, you can bet you need to pull the carbs off and clean or rebuild them. Pay attention or take pictures if needed. Kits are much less than labor.
Getting vapor is not the same as saying that it's getting the right amount of fuel and air mixture.
And with a shop manual, you'll probably be able to synchronize your carbs/linkages yourself.
that's my .02, good luck!!
one other thing, I've found pulling the flywheel, cleaning the magnets and stator contacts, is a good idea.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
dot com
are kidding me? censorship!! PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTT!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Troubleshooting an old boat, and it seems to me I am getting fuel and spark. The boat has sat for the last five years. It turns and turns, but I don't even get s shred of life out of two days of working on it. I have tried starting fluid through the carbs and in each cylinder. I also have tried different choke and throttlenpositions while starting. I primed the bulb until it was not squishy, and opened the fill on the tank to prevent. A vacuum or siphon.

I have cleaned the carbs, replaced the plugs, using new fuel at fifty to one, and am running out of ideas. I cannot verify compression, but seem to be getting a good suck and push on each cylinder through the cycle. When turning the motor over without plugs, i see a vapor in the sunlight so I am ruling ou getting fuel to the cylinders. I also have spark.

I am thinking there is a kill switch somewhere I cannot find. I have removed the Mercury tilt switch, but no change.

I'm about to drop it off at a repair shop, any ideas would be appreciated.

Forget about a kill switch if you are getting spark. That's what a kill switch kills - Spark

If you're in the States, rent a free loaner compression tester from Autozone or one of the other big auto parts stores. And while you're there, buy a 10 buck spark tester to maker sure the spark is strong.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
OK, I get it; I guess? Other site represents a conflict of sorts....

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No conflict. They are competitors after the same bucks we are after.

that's the conflict I was referring to!!! My apologies, I have the greatest respect for this forum; it's just sometimes silliness pushes seriousness aside...