1973 9.8 110 mercury issues

1976alcraftjon

Recruit
I recently bought a 1976 Alumacraft 12 foot jon boat and the boat came with a 1973 9.8 Mercury two stroke he told me that it was running when they parked the boat and I can see where they had the flywheel off and rewired the ignition coils however I rebuilt the fuel pump, new check valves diaphragms the whole nine yards and I rebuild a carburetor new gaskets orings everything not just cleaned it now that I have it all put back together it still won't start every once in awhile when you pull it it will run for a second or two and then die any suggestions?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Pull the carb apart. You have crud in a passage somewhere

Masonmoore

Seaman Apprentice
I agree with scott. Take the carbs apart and check your float adjustment. If it is set properly, take out jets and clean them well. While its taken apart, clean inside of float bowl and spray carb cleaner in everything you can find. This will give you a basic cleaning. Have you checked the timing?

60sboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Runs a few seconds and stops sounds like ignition timing and output are OK. It could be too lean for cold running;is the screw set to 1.5 turns CCW for initial set-up? I have a 73 9.8 too ( a CL purchase) and had to rebuild most of the ignition system. The wiring insulation was trash.