1983 80 hp mercury

dieselcat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok fellas it's been a while since I've been on here but am in need of some help!! I'm in the middle of Changi g water impeller and little did I know not to move the shifter on the lower unit side and now the motor is always in the forward gear no matter what I do even if I put it in neutral or reverse the propellers keeps going in the forward motion any idea of what to do to correct this issue?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Ease the LU down till you can get the shifter rod off the stub shaft in the LU. With a pair of vise grips (preferred) with a little force, find out where you are on the shifter cam which has 3 detents and the cam follower on the front of the prop shaft will ride into and out of these 3 detents. Once you find them, get the center one which is N. Place your remote control in N and rock the shifter lever somewhat to ensure you are centered. Reattach the shift linkage and slide the LU back into place. One word of caution is R gear shifting. You must have the prop or the crankshaft rotating when you attempt to shift into R. The manual says that you can damage your shifting linkage if you don't . N and F don't matter....different cog setup.

dieselcat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok thanks,does it matter if I go clockwise or counter clockwise when doing this?

dieselcat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Every time I try this and put it back together forward is reverse and reverse is forward

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Just move it around till you find the 3 cam detents. N is in the middle. IF you line up the N's you are good to go. Only way it will be backwards after that is if you change your control box where pushing the lever forward moves the shifter linkage at the engine/control cable interface in the wrong direction. If you didn't mess with the box it will be as it was when it was working properly. Course there was no reason for you to go to the control box and start fooling around anyway!

turn2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If you keep getting reverse in forward and forward in reverse and neutral is right ,u have rotated the linkage 180 degrees around .

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Turn the shift rod CCW until you find forward and then neutral. Leave it in neutral, and install the gearcase. You may have a piece of cast plastic that fits into the midsection, and centers the upper shift rod. It makes installation easier. It sometimes falls into the gearcase. If you have it make sure it is installed into the midsection. Obviously grease the driveshaft and shiftshaft splines.

dieselcat

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok fellas sorry it took so long to repost again but we got it figured out, it turns out that the motor on my friends boat apparently is a left hand rotation motor so even on the control box was goin into reverse when you put it in forward took a little bit of tinkering but I got it figured out thank you all for your help

Last edited: