1984 9.8 Mercury

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Only other Merc i've ever owned was a Black Max 150 just for a short time. Grew up with a 6 and a 15 Evinrude so this is going to be fun. I know I'll need an impeller other than that hoping for the best. Took me a few minutes to figure out how to pop the cowl but looks pretty clean in there. It's going on the Carver for the kicker (guess time to change my sig line)

What does this do? Front of motor, flips ip

Good news it came with a 12 gallon tank that I'm going to put in the Lonestar for the 70 hp. The 5.5 just wasn't enough for a full day and one of the lake I go to doesn't have any fuel on the water. Also there is plenty enough space in the Carver engine compartment for the small tank for the kicker - I'll hard plum it in thru the transom.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Somehow I knew you'd like it. It would look better with the monster drink logo on top of the cowl...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Somehow I knew you'd like it. It would look better with the monster drink logo on top of the cowl...

I can send that cowl up if you want. however it was glued together with epoxy by the prior owner.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
this enough pee? Never had a small Merc before

Second question - is there a gasket for the Tstat or can I use a rubber sealant? ow tight is the spring holding the Tstat housing supposed to be?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Joe, I would still put an impeller in it.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
oh yes just want to know what to expect when I do.

Any thoughts on the Tstat?

I have the same motor for my smaller boat. I had trouble at one time with the shaft that runs thru the impeller rusting and leaking water into the bottom end. I read it was a common problem with that year. I believe I just sanded it down, but I may have repainted it, and replaced the seals on the water pump. It was working fine until I had some ignition problems and moved it to my "repair some day" section of my garage. Just letting you know....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Got home yesterday and looks like a seal let loose last week while i was in socal. Leakinf from the prop hub? What parts do i need?