1973 mercury outboard 850 thunderbolt

shreker

Cadet
Im new to the forum and I just bought a 1973 ouchita with a mercury 850 thunderbolt and it wont wont go foward or reverse. Would i need to rebuild the lower section? Boat starts and everything but wont move back and forth. Thanks guys

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Do you know if any work has been done on the lower unit - Like impeller replacement? If the lower isn't installed properly, the shift shaft, etc. can easily be out of alignment.

One thing you can do is have someone move the throttle lever on the control while you look at the shift cable to see if it moves on the port side of the motor and the shifting mechanicals move with the cable. If they do seem to move correctly, it's time to remove the lower unit and check shifting there.

No need to consider rebuilding the lower unit yet.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Also, make sure the gear lube in the gearcase is good. Some folks never change it, leading to gearcase failure.

shreker

Cadet
Well I had my fiance move the lever back and forth and the controls on the side moved like they were suppose to. The guy I bought it from said he has just changed the water pump himself, now I was thinking he didn't as you guys said align things up. So I will be taking it to a guy who said he would look at it.

shreker

Cadet
Update!!! Gear case is fine... but my merc control box is done for. It's not engaging right and the inside is all worn out!! Which is why now I'm asking that anyone who has one with or without cables.... I'll take it!!! Please let me know if anyone could help... thanks