Hole in baffle plate on Mercury 1150

Ricky_rich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What will happen if I run this engine with a small hole in the baffle exhaust plate? Is this really serious and need to be fixed right away?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
It will allow water into a cylinder or two, causing them to not spark and not make power. If you know there is a hole in the baffle, you obviously have it apart. It is time to replace the baffle plate and gaskets.

Ricky_rich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It will allow water into a cylinder or two, causing them to not spark and not make power. If you know there is a hole in the baffle, you obviously have it apart. It is time to replace the baffle plate and gaskets.

Yes I seen the little hole. I understand it has to be fixed, you know if it's possible to use a TIG weld to seal the hole?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Usually when you have one hole, there is pitting all over the baffle. If you have pitting, it will develop another hole in short order, so not worth it to weld it.

Ricky_rich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Usually when you have one hole, there is pitting all over the baffle. If you have pitting, it will develop another hole in short order, so not worth it to weld it.

This is the only baffle I can find online.
US $87.89 + shipping, is it a fair deal for a used one?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, How used is it? Freshwater I would hope, but hard to tell from the picture. I would recommend a new one, if you can find it.

Ricky_rich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'll keep my eyes open for a baffle in good shape. Anyone who have one or know where to get one, please send me a PM. Baffle 55282 for a inline 6, 115hp from 1970.