1994 Mercury 40 HP 4 cylinder 2 stroke - Ignition Problems

GaOkie

Cadet
your help is appreciated! Don't have any spark on #1 or #2 cylinders 3-4 seem to be firing correctly. while looking around noticed the voltage regulator was leaking black stuff so replaced it. have checked coil packs and they are working fine. based on what I've read my problem seems to be the trigger. what I haven't been able to find is what wires and what OMS should I be looking for. Also while I'm at it if I could also get the wires and OMS for the Stator.

thanks

GaOkie

Cadet
Based on additional research on the net (CDI Electronics) the trigger wire combo is Brown to White/Black and Purple to White. Reading should be 800-1400 Ohms. The stator is based on which type you have. Once that is determined will post that info.

GaOkie

Cadet
Ok tested the trigger on brown to white wires nothing,tested purple to white had 857 ohms. so will order and install new trigger. the stator we had was "Red Stator" with green/white and white/green wires. once tested we had 705 ohms which is 5 more than what it should be. is that a problem?

let me know

GaOkie

Cadet
in the process of replacing the trigger noticed the "link rod-spark advance" was almost broken where it threads into the trigger. During the removal it broke. So far i've checked every internet site i can find but everyone indicates the part is no longer available. my next plan to find a second hand part from a parted engine.....if i can find one. any suggestions on where i might find/buy this "link rod"? Thanks