new to the site seems like the best site for help with my outboard

xravensx89

Cadet
have a mercury outboard 50hp 2001 been having all types of problems with the boat this year but feel like we are making progress with fixing the problems i really like to fix things on my own its always good to have that knowledge and trait but just to start beginning past couple of the years we have invested good amount of money in maintenance with the boat new sparks plugs new spark plug wires new fuel filter new water pump in the lower column was replaced this year but every time we go out something else seems to happened 3 weeks ago the boat would not exceed 3000 rpms i took the fuel filter off and noticed sludge was built up in the fuel filter with the mixture of gas cleaned the fuel filter out and that was fixed then i decided to clean the carburetors as well so i bought 3 carburetor kits and broke them down individually and cleaned them out new gaskets everything. took the boat out yesterday on the water for about 25 min the boat ran like it was brand new plaining running above 3000 rpms with no hesitation in the motor. then all of a sudden the motor started giving me problems sounded like it was spitting and never seen this before it was running at 3000 rpms at idle speed and going up and down in rpms also overheating with one solid beep the motor was really really hot hotter then normal like i said had water flow out the hole and a brand new water pump so i am confused on what it could be causing this issue as well i looked on previous forum and right now i am leaning in looking at the sensor under the oil tank like i said i know i am almost there with fixing this thing any help would be appreciated thanks !!!!

Last edited:

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Welcome to iboats! There is a wealth of information available here from members that enjoy helping others. One piece of advice is to use some punctuation in your threads. Your first post just rambles on and on with no breaks between sentences.

FMan

Cadet
Normally, with an overheating engine, I would say your water pump isn't doing its job. While it is pumping water, it might not be pumping enough water. Where you just replaced it, there could be a blockage somewhere down the line. Your oil injection might also be malfunctioning. If the engine isn't getting enough oil in the mix, it will heat up more than normal. The root cause of it sounds to be something more involved, though. If the idle is up to 3000 rpms, it sounds like something in the carburetors is sticking. Could be float or even choke. Possible something didn't seat right when you rebuilt them or just got stuck while driving.

xravensx89

Cadet
yea i am looking at the oil injection now. just very frustrating take 2 steps forward then 2 steps back !!! thank you tho

xravensx89

Cadet
Come to find out a screw came off on the butterfly on the first carberatour luckly it didnt get into the head. put that back on went back out today rpms where stable but the boat is still overheatting out on the water !!! Any ideas ????