Trim sender? problems

southarm

Cadet
Can anyone explain to me how my trim sender works? Or doesn't work. I have a 1999 merc. 115 2stroke elpto. I have the correct merc. Service manual and it says nothing about how the trim sender works or how to test it. I want to get it operational because i have a guage for it and i want all guages to work just because. Can any send me a link or just pass along any experiences they have had. Thank you. Brian

alldodge

Staff member
Te trim gauge works just like your gas gauge. It gets 12V to one side of the gauge and the other goes to the sender. Grounding the terminal or wire going to the sender will peg the meter full. If meter pegs then the gauge is good.

Sender has two wires on it and is just a variable resistor. One side goes to ground the other goes to the gauge and doesn't matter which is which it will still work.

sullmate

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a similar problem. replaced gauge and sending unit. arrow in gauge will peg when shut off. it only works partially. I can't seem to adjust it. it shows 1/3 way from fully down when it is actually 2/3 of the way up.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
It is probably better to trim the motor by feel and sound, then by gauge. I have never found trim gauges to be reliable. Your's is not even accurate.