Mercury 40 hp outboard fire damage - assist needed to ID parts

BIGBLOCK472

Recruit
Good morning,

Please accept my apologies if answers to my questions are posted elsewhere. I have searched the forum before posting, but in my frustration I may have missed any.

I have a 1994 Mercury 40hp outboard that produced a burning smell Memorial Day weekend. We parked the boat and just yesterday pulled it from the water. Removal of the engine cover reveals what appears to be a burned voltage regulator (please correct me if I ID these parts wrong), and another module above it, and hopefully just superficial damage to a module above that. Can anyone help me identify the top two modules? I am new to the outboard repair and mostly new to boating, aside from general maintenance.

The attached photo is of the damage.

These damaged parts - are they still available for this engine? As a side note - this is a replacement outboard...the previous outboard (another 1994 Mercury 40hp) completely self-immolated in the same fashion while my mother owned it. While I am no marine mechanic, I do sense a pattern here. Is this worth trying to fix? Will this keep happening? I do not want to dump endless amounts of money into this inherited boat, but it seems like that's the road I am on. Life is short, I won't waste it fretting about a POS boat motor when my canoe never catches on fire :)

Thanks,
Matt

Attachments

• IMG_9728.JPG
    IMG_9728.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

BIGBLOCK472

Recruit
Thank you, Bill.

Can you tell me what the foam-wrapped thing above that is? Now that I'm less angry about the whole situation I don't mind spending $100 or $200 here or there to get it going again.

I owned a SAAB one time and if I look at it from the perspective of "...at least it's not a SAAB" I feel a little bit better.

Thank you!

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer
Not 100% sure but I think it is one of the two warning modules, check where the wiring goes, one is for the overtemp warning and another is for the low oil warning