Mercury 75 hp ELPT 1984 Outboard Water Pump Install

bts2

Cadet
HI Guys,

just bought a "new" boat, a little fishing rig with a 1984 75 HP ELPT 2 stroke outboard. The PO had done some "maintenance" on it, and one of the items he did was replace the water pump impeller. I put the boat on the muffs and ran it and there was no water coming out of the telltale hole, so I dropped the lower unit and sure enough, he left the water tube and gasket on the tube going up to the engine and put the new one on the pump, so there were two in there folded up on top of each other and thus no water flow.

Question: as I put the new water pump (complete with all gaskets, orings and upper and lower housings) back in, do I need to do any shimming of the bearing in the lower unit, or should it be the same as it came out? I can't find the right Mercury manual, only a Seloc, and, as we know, those are not always so good and often wrong. The Seloc manual talks about 3 different styles of water pumps and having to shim the bearing with the water pump housing to get the backlash of the upper driveshaft bearing correct. Any pointers to a correct manual would also be awesome.

Thanks,
Byron