Merc Two Stroke ran with no oil - no alarm

rcadille

Recruit
I was out yesterday with my pontoon boat.

The oil reservoir became empty. No alarm was heard.

Engine stopped abruptly from 3000 rpm to off

I restarted engine and it ran again - not thinking I was out of oil.

It stopped again. I removed cover, noticed reservoir empty, refilled and it ran OK after that.

1) Would like to TEST ALARM and Fix it des anyone know to do this?
2) Should I be concerned abut damage to engine? Scored cylinder walls? Anything else?

Richard Cadille
rcadille@Kistler.com
716-830-5151

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Year size and model might help in determining if there was any damage and the fix for the alarm.

Ant-Knee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recommend removing the oil system completely and just premix it yourself.. Little bit of a pain in the ass, But you never have to worry about anything failing in the oil system..
This way you know the oil is there, This is just my own preference, I have heard some expensive stories...

Just a thought..

Ant...

rcadille

Recruit
2005 Merc 2 plus 2 ELPTO 115 HP

Figured out the Alarm issue. The Alarm horn was filled with spiders and not working. Ordered a new horn (located near the ignition key) The low oil and overheating sensors are working fine.

The engine now has a very slight knock at idle and very low rpm's. A marine mechanic stopped over Sunday - thinks one of the risk pins is sticking from slight overheating. Compression tested all 4 cylinders - all >120 psi - great! I hope it isn't a rod or something serious. He Suggested I add more oil to 20 gallons of gas I have in the tank. Say about 2 qts 2 stroke oil. to get it lower than 50:1...down to 30:1 or so. This combined with the auto oil injection on the engine should be good. May smoke a little or fowl a plug.

Anyone else have any good ideas --

Rich Cadille 716-830-5151 or rcadille@kistler.com