82 Merc 402 Stalling Problem

Chavi

Cadet
My 1982 Merc 402 starts great and works awesome on the muffs, but as soon as it hits the water it starts to die when I am trying to accelerate. If I am aggressive with the throttle it will do ok and get up and go but this is usually after I have tried it for at least five times and if stope to fish or any reason the whole ritual begins again. I have been reading the posts and have seen that there are many people with the same issue. I have done everything, replaced carb (used), carb kit, and rebuilt the fuel pump but I have not messed with the timing since I have never done this. If anyone has any ideas on what I can do to finally take care of this problem please let me know cause it has been driving me crazy for the last 5 years. It always ends up with me just taking the boat out for a test run to see what his attitude will be that day. One day out in the water an older gentlemen even told me that the problem with my boat was that it was an old cold blooded Mercury. LOL. I am beginning to think that it may be time to replace the outboard to another brand. I like it since I have learned so much repairing it but it seems that I am always doing exactly that, "REPAIRING IT". Anyways please let me know if anyone has any advise.

Thanks in advance,
Chavi.