Frankensteining two Merc 70s together

Marty Yanik

Recruit
I have a pair of late 80s Mercury 70 HP 3 cylinder engines. On one, the water pump failed (My fault) and burnt the top piston. All of the electrics on it are fairly recent; stator, trigger, switch box, coils, etc. I removed the intake and exhaust ports on the other engine and discovered that it is pristine on the inside. So fresh there is even cross hatching on the cylinder walls. The electrics, though, are shot. (Mice damage) How difficult would it be to move the good electrics to the good block? I need to get a flywheel puller ( have seen them on FleaBay) to get to the electrics underneath. Any advice on what to avoid? Thanks in advance.

Marty

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well Marty Yanik, first things first, :welcome: to iboats. Nice to have you aboard...

Seem like a great match to me. I certainly would swap parts to make one good engine from the two. And you could even part out the remains as well if you want. You can easily buy a quality flywheel puller at most any auto parts store OR they even have loaner tools and you could borrow such a flywheel puller. HOWEV ER, you have to use grade eight bolts with the flywheel puller because they are extremely hard to remove. And if you use anything but grade eight bolts, you will most likely break the bolts. BTDT. And it takes a LOT of force to remove the flywheel. The flywheel is installed on a tapered crankshaft and that make it very hard to break loose. So read a few flywheel removals on these forums and see what it truly takes. But swapping parts should yield a nice workable engine... :thumb: