Switch Box Test

MMcrack

Cadet
I have a 1986 Mercury 45 that I think the switch box is bad. I recently got the motor and it won't go over 7 MPH at WOT. I started hunting and found that one of the wires coming from the trigger was completely corroded. After replacing the trigger I am now able to do some more troubleshooting and have found out that I have no spark on the bottom two cylinders. I have checked the resistance and used a DVA on the stator and trigger and both checked good. If I move the wires going from the switch box to the ignition coil around and the trigger wires to match what cylinder they're supposed to go to than the same two cylinders work. Anyone know of a way to check the switch box so I can be 100% positive that is what it is before I go out and spend $200+ on a new one?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
CDI electronics has a troubleshooting guide that will solve your issues. Its hard to download successfully for a computer illiterate person such as I but it is possible.

MMcrack

Cadet
Thanks jakedaawg. That's the steps that I followed before. I was just wondering if there was anything else I could do to make sure. But I went ahead and bought a new switchbox today. It should arrive this week and I'll post back my results.