1978 tower of power hard to start

cuenta619

Seaman
Is very hard to start need put little starter fluid
The fuel pump was rebuild the button carb. Had gas leak from butterflies I adjust the float level and stop the leak but now is very hard to start
Any suggestions.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Is your choke or enriching system working correctly. Doesn't sound like it and I would start there and see why not... JMHO!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Make sure the choke butterflies are closing all the way. Not uncommon for 40-year old bits to get sloppy with age and not work as they should...

cuenta619

Seaman
Make sure the choke butterflies are closing all the way. Not uncommon for 40-year old bits to get sloppy with age and not work as they should...
I will check .
I see the choke move when I push the button

Update :
I have a deep cycle battery and I see the motor turn slow. can this be causing the problem.???
but as soon as I spray a little starter fluid the engine starts immediately

Mi duckdown

Commander
I would not use a deep cycle battery for that motor. motor not turning fast is part of your problem. I would quit using starter fluid

cuenta619

Seaman
I would not use a deep cycle battery for that motor. motor not turning fast is part of your problem. I would quit using starter fluid

Yes. I know the starter fluid no have lubricant. !
I fill a bottle with premix 50:1 to sprayed

Any suggestions to a good battery to this motor
I test the battery in NAPA and is good 12.6 vol.
And 650 crank capacity.
but maybe not enough

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A series 24 battery 650 CCA is plenty strong to start that motor. I would recommend you clean the battery cables at both ends. Look for bulges under the insulation indicating corrosion. Check the condition of the quick disconnect plug. They can get corroded.

Run a good battery cable from the battery to the starter solenoid, and a new ground cable as well, and see if the motor spins faster when starting. Check/clean the starter ground cable.

cuenta619

Seaman
A series 24 battery 650 CCA is plenty strong to start that motor. I would recommend you clean the battery cables at both ends. Look for bulges under the insulation indicating corrosion. Check the condition of the quick disconnect plug. They can get corroded.

Run a good battery cable from the battery to the starter solenoid, and a new ground cable as well, and see if the motor spins faster when starting. Check/clean the starter ground cable.

I check the cables and the positive cable to battery side have the end terminal loose and corroded and when crank the cable get overheat.
Today I will change. The terminal