'84 mercury 90hp cold start procedure?

Jbemesderfer

Recruit
I recently bought an '84 boston whaler with a 90hp inline six , 2 stroke. I'm really confused on the cold start procedure. I read some past threads and was still stumped.
Some say hold the key in 8-10 seconds before starting , others say just hit it once.
I keep flooding it out and it just won't start. It's a project boat, so I just want to learn all I can, but, the salmon are going to pass me by if I don't get out there. Thanks for any advice

DavidMoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Primer bulb hard
Fast idle lever half way up
crank engine whilst pushing in the key to choke
release key when she fires.

crank for 10 seconds max to protect the starter, wait 30 seconds between cranking cycles.

Do not hold the key in 8-10 seconds before starting, you will be draining the top carb and losing priming pressure.

David

Jbemesderfer

Recruit
I don't think my boat has a fast idle lever. The throttle and shifter pare one. In order to throttle up I'd have to put it in forward gear and the neutral saftu switch won't allow the starter to engage. Is there a way to throttle at the carbs without moving the shifter?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Should be a button at base of handle to push inwards and disengage the shift so you can advance the throttle.