1982 Mercury 115 Thunderbolt Broken wire wont rev past 2200 rpm under load

loukillme

Recruit
http://forums.iboats.com/filedata/fetch?id=7181086&d=1364685040I just purchased a boat with this same wire broken in this pic. The last owner says the motor used to rev up under load and just quit one day and only revs to 2200 rpm now. Gaskets on fuel pump look newer as well as the gaskets on carb. I pulled plugs they look good have new ones on order. I drained fuel tank it was actually pretty clean. I changed some suspect fuel lines and installed an inline filter. Put it back in the water and still wont rev past 2200 rpm. In neutral it revs fine just doesn't under load. The motor sounds very strong when running around at 2200 rpm. Does this solid yellow wire have anything to do with my problem. I searched all over this motor and cant find out where it broke from. Any help would be appreciated. Im new to outboards but very familiar with 2 stroke motors. I'm at a loss here and getting frustrated.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Mercs have a high speed stator winding. It switches over as the motor revs up, likely where you see an issue.. Perhaps your stator windings went bad. There is an ohms test for the windings.