Carb for '76 1500

Kargh

Seaman
So I had sent an email to the boats.net customer service the other day to find out some information on a rebuild kit for the carbs in this old motor. What I got back was that they can't help me because the WMK-22 carbs that are currently in this engine are not the original. Hell, I just wanted a part number and to know what came in the rebuild kit.

Anyways, that whole conversation led me to double checking the serial number -- it turns out that the last owner must have swapped on a different engine and never changed/included the paperwork that the owner before him had kept. So, from what I can tell, this is a 1976, Serial #: 4558919. Anyone know if that particular model ever came with the WMK-22 carbs? I've found conflicting information (specifically, one Mercury list shows that the WMK-22 came on 1500s between 1973-1978), but my parts list from 1976 doesn't specifically state that that. All I know is that it might have come with assembly part #A-1368-5701A5.

Is there any issues with using the WMK-22 in this particular motor?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I think you have bad info. Merc 1500 's were last made in 1977. After that in 1978 -1979, Merc 1500 were called Merc 1400. In 1979+1/2 they went to ADI ignition, and after that downgraded to 115HP.

A 1976 and 1977 Merc 1500 were identical. You should have 3 sidebowl carbs with backjets. Carb rebuild kits cover lots of similar carbs. The actual carb designation changed a lot, over the years. What is your issue?

Kargh

Seaman
My issue is that I don't know anything about the history of the motor. I don't know how well it was cared for. I figured I might as well take care of a few things so I know the state that it is in.

What I have in there are the WMK-22 carbs. Not really sure how to describe them (they are not in any of my repair manuals or parts lists). I don't know who put them on nor why they were swapped in. For all I know it was just an updated design and will work just fine... on the other hand, maybe they'll work but they are not a good option to use. I don't know.

What I was hoping to hear was 'No issues with those in that motor', or 'Yeah, don't use those.. that was a bad design...', or 'Those were standard on X, Y, or Z so it isn't surprising that you have them.'. Something along those lines...