1987 Mercury 45hp 50 classic thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happybob52

Cadet
I'm having some issues with my 50 Classic cooling system. It's not peeing right. After a minute or so at high rpm, the stream stops and it just starts spraying steam(or exhaust) with very little water. I had the impeller replaced a couple of weeks ago. They did not change the housing or wear plates, saying they looked in good shape. I was told, in another forum, to replace the thermostat & pressure relief (pop it) valve. I cannot for the life of me, find these parts on the motor. I know a thermostat should be located at or near the top of the head and the valve should be near the bottom of the motor, but where? I don't have a clue. I've been searching on-line manuals, you tube and the world wide web with no solid results for this particular engine.

Can anyone help me?? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

goldstem

Seaman Apprentice
Quite sure no thermostat or poppet valve on that motor that year. if a new impeller didn't do it, you have bit of diagnosing to do.

mixerjv

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Definitively no thermostat or poppet valve on that engine (the 44cu in 4 cylinder Mark 58-Merc 500- Merc 50 Classic 50 45hp and the Merc 40)

Perhaps the tube that goes from the lower unit to the engine is missing a rubber sleeve or is bent and not seated right.

Last edited:

Happybob52

Cadet
Thanks guys. I appreciate your help. I got the same info from a couple of guys on another site.

mixerjv, the mechanic that replaced the impeller did mention (after the fact), that the tube seemed a little loose.

I'll be pulling the lower unit myself and doing some checking. I know for sure that I'll be doing the whole water pump kit. Not just the impeller.

Does anyone know where I might find an on-line parts diagram?

Thanks again, Bob

mixerjv

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Go to the official Mercury Parts Catalog (google) and make sure you put in your serial number (DON'T search by year/model with older engines like this) and it should come up.

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class
Check for plugged cooling system; impeller key problem. loose - worn - unconnected sleeve at top of water discharge tube. impeller in backwards...plugged water intake

Happybob52

Cadet
Well I found the problem. The water inlet tube seal housing is trashed. It's just a plastic housing that holds the little rubber seal for the water inlet tube. It bolts to the exhaust/adapter plate under the power head. And it apparently got hot & melted enough to not seal tight. I've had a couple of mechanics tell me that it's a fairly common problem. The really bad news is that the part is not made anymore. So now I'm on a quest to find a used part. Talk about finding a needle in a haystack! I thought I found one at a salvage yard in Oklahoma, but when the woman found it, she told me "It's a little melted on one side." I told her "Ma'am, that's why mine is no good. It's melted on one side." From what I understand, there are other year models that used an all aluminum part that will interchange with my engine. But I can't get a straight answer as far as which ones.

Any help is greatly appreciated. The part number is: 79799

Attachments

• M-79799.gif
    M-79799.gif
    15.2 KB · Views: 1
  • untitled 2.png
    untitled 2.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 2
  • untitled 3.png
    untitled 3.png
    58 KB · Views: 2
  • untitled 4.png