No power to get up on plane

Gsx

Cadet
Hello need some advice I have a 2011 Mercury 40 Efi 4storke on a 14.6 tracker. It will not get to full rpm I changed the plugs. and the ignition coil (240.00 can) on the advice of the tech for the shop . No change I had three guys in the boat in May and it jumped out of the water and on plane . The last couple of weeks it will not even get up on plane and have a had time getting 10mph out of it with the same people. It runs smooth and when you put in neutral it will rev up but on the water it will not plane no speed can any one help please. And no we did not gain any weight lol thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Hello need some advice I have a 2011 Mercury 40 Efi 4storke on a 14.6 tracker. It will not get to full rpm I changed the plugs. and the ignition coil (240.00 can) on the advice of the tech for the shop . No change I had three guys in the boat in May and it jumped out of the water and on plane . The last couple of weeks it will not even get up on plane and have a had time getting 10mph out of it with the same people. It runs smooth and when you put in neutral it will rev up but on the water it will not plane no speed can any one help please. And no we did not gain any weight lol thanks

Howdy

Have you checked/replaced the fuel filter? Suggest checking your fuel pressure, low pressure pump at 3-6 psi, high pressure at 42-44 psi.

Gsx

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. I have taking the rule filter off seems ok blew air through it and no problem but I will buy a new one. Just wondering could it be a bad or dirty fuel injector. I have about 24 hours on the motor Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for the reply. I have taking the rule filter off seems ok blew air through it and no problem but I will buy a new one. Just wondering could it be a bad or dirty fuel injector. I have about 24 hours on the motor Thanks

With the newer motors and all the EFI components it turns out in most cases you need a scan tool to check for codes. You didn't mention if you are hearing any beeps so I take it your not. Are you hearing the two beeps when you turn the key to ON before starting?

alldodge

Staff member
I'm not an outboard guy but did some searching and found there should be one beep at start up. Your beeper might not be connected or installed. Here is the manual to your more "I think" without knowing the serial number
http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercury/manuals/30-40_02.html#/162

Need a wiring diagram but I have been unable to find one for your motor. There are some diagrams in the manual but not a full schematic

Gsx

Cadet
Thanks real helpful sorry for the late response had to go underground today late getting up to surface. So you would not try to find a fuel injector or should I try some cleaner would you known of a good one thanks again

alldodge

Staff member
I would try to find someone with a scanner to check for codes

Gsx

Cadet
I have a scanner but not sure if it work on outboards will have to try

Gsx

Cadet
Well so much for that idea about using the scanner going up to camp on wed will try again

Gsx

Cadet
The compression seems good I will do a test when I go up to camp. Changed the plugs and one was kinda wet the others were all good

Gsx

Cadet
Brought the two gas filters and a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and a new fuel line assemble. For 130.00 Going up to camp on wed hopeful I will find something that is wrong grasping at straws now

Gsx

Cadet
Took my boat out for some last time fishing today the motor runs like a champ now. Got on plane with 3guys in the boat and hit 20 mph with out touching the trim so it was a low battery and a fuse causing me all the problems thank to all who gave me the advice. Also put another battery just for the motor

Gsx

Cadet
Now if I can get my Rd car to run as good as my boat that would be great loll

alldodge

Staff member
Great to here your up and running, and even better to know what the problem was.