2014 90 hp Mercury outboard - overheating, Impeller???

purplegrape

Cadet
Good day everyone, I have a 2014 90hp merc, with maybe 25 hours on it.

My issues is that I was travelling through some eel grass, and the engine sort of cut out over revved and started beeping (3 beeps), the engine was not spitting water out. I stopped the engine and pulled some eel grass (seaweed) from the intake of the motor. after that it seemed to be running fine. I made it ashore after finishing my day and ran the motor wide open on the way back (starting spitting water again)

No heres my issue. When I start the boat in the yard and put muffs on it will no longer throw water. It use to fine. So this afternoon I got a bucket large enough to surroung the bottom of the motor and cover the intake holes with water. I started the engine and she will not spit water. It beeps at me 3 beeps and if continued beeps continuously. I assume the continuous beep in overheating.

Do you think Im in need of a new impeller?

thanks,

Chad.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
You could very well need a new impeller. With the motor running with a clogged intake the impeller wasn't getting any lube (water) and could have been damaged.

purplegrape

Cadet
You could very well need a new impeller. With the motor running with a clogged intake the impeller wasn't getting any lube (water) and could have been damaged.

Thanks for the reply, I am tech savvy however have not tinkered with a motor this large. The impeller replacement looks like a fairly strait forward job, Is there anything over complicated to a removing the gearcase and replacing the impeller that I should be aware of? And spend all the $ on taking it to the dealer?

Thanks again